Enterprise IT now has varied degrees of complexities. Even few years before, enterprise IT system management was unheard of but as companies became more dependent on information technology, managing proper IT environment for optimum performance became imperative.
Pitfalls of selecting distinct IT management system are many. But it is an essential investment that your IT department must make in order to ensure higher ROI and performance from IT system, otherwise, determining IT system efficiency becomes a challenge. In order to select the right management software to manage IT, it is essential to understand the intrinsic challenges of modern enterprise IT environment.
Challenges of modern enterprise IT ecosystem
- The first problem arises from growing complexities of enterprise IT. Even few years ago, enterprise IT was more linear and one dimensional – comprising a few systems, server and a simple network connecting all. But now, it’s often a cobweb of several systems, storage, applications, severs distributed across physical, virtual and cloud spaces.
- Expectations and demand from enterprise IT has grown significantly. IT is no longer regarded a supportive system of organization but often deemed as the backbone. Performance of an enterprise now largely depends on efficiency of its IT department and their capacity planning, monitoring capabilities.
- Cost is the third most important factor that demands automation and efficient IT management. In the challenging economic time, there has been a serious concern over rising overhead of enterprise IT. Any investment therefore should lower cost and make the IT system more efficient.
Three parameters of selecting efficient IT management system
The task of selecting IT system management software is challenging for the fact that there are now many of these software available in the market and vendors would go to any length in claiming that their product is different from others. The selection however must be based on the following.
- Integrated GUI that would offer a unified view of enterprise IT from a single platform. It is a single tool that offers a comprehensive view of the complex network to facilitate the monitoring process. Monitoring should also go beyond performance metrics – covering log data management, configuration changes and manage internal and external compliance.
- A vendor agnostic application that would offer visibility across domain irrespective of different service providers. From single platform you should be able to monitor the entire IT network spread across physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- System, that is easy to deploy and is unified, saves time, resource and fund. System that has more automation capabilities across different tiers of IT infrastructure can automatically detect problem at the root and execute self-healing actions without intervention of IT team. It suggests of more efficient monitoring system with less complaints of outage.
While selecting a network performance monitoring system, one would need to consider total cost of ownership in the long run and monitoring capabilities that extend to performance, configuration and compliance management. Installing an integrated, self-healing monitoring solution is an assurance of efficient IT with higher ROI.